GO HERE TO FIND OUT ABOUT Web-based courses in OPTIONS AND FUTURES
The following provides sites relating to investments/security analysis. See the pages
for Derivatives and International Financial Markets for additional related sites.
Under Revision 11/16/99 If any of the links are not functional or have
moved please send a message (via the e-mail link at the bottom of the page).
On this page you will find:
- StockTrak A trading simulation that allows you to
use intraday prices to buy and sell options and futures as well as stocks. This is the
only trading game simulation that lets you trade futures and options on all US exchanges
using intraday prices. And the cost is reasonable too!
Security, Market, and Industry Analysis
- NetGate Site emphasizing technical
analysis. May download "Market Master" software to "forecast stocks,
futures and indices." Has a newsletter and a section on "how Wall Street really
- Max's Investment World suggests the
"best" stocks to invest in, overvalued stocks, and information on relative
values. A good site to visit.
- Wall Street News provides recent
articles from financial news sources and information from financial newsletters.. Has
updated information on international financial markets, including currencies, stocks,
bonds, and commodities. Includes a dictionary of investor terms, a global research library
- including quotes internationally, and investment software.
- The Van Kasper brokerage firm provides
free research for some stocks plus industry profiles.
- Newspage lists news by industry links.
- Technology Stocks Quotes, charts, articles on
technology oriented companies, especially computers, software, etc. Check out their charts
- Dogs of the Dow Examines the ten highest
yielding stocks in the Dow - with the idea that these stocks will do well in the market.
Provides performance measures and has free research on Dow companies.
- Zacks earnings reports provide predictions of
futures earnings for selected companies, as well as buy/sell/hold recommendations.
Provides the number of brokers recommending the stock as a "strong buy,"
"moderate buy," "hold," "moderate sell," or "strong
sell." Compares earnings to expectations. Stocks may be examined by industry to
examine stock performance compared to the industry. Over 6000 companies and 3000 analysts.
Florida International University is a member of ,
which on-line (and off-line) screening to detrmine which stocks are "best" based
on your criteria, and other data such as prices/volumes and histograms of analyst's
earnings estimates, and earnings surprizes. You may also receive daily stock and mutual
fund quotes vaia e-mail.
- JPMorgan is an investment banker that is known for
it's Riskmetrics program and associated databases. A sophisticated analysis program, it
has received a lot of interest in the investment community. J.P. Morgan also provides
quotes on currency indices and an emerging market bond index.
- Investorsedge Profiles of corporations,
including financial information. "News" and price information.
- Streetnet Provides investment recommendations, a
brief examination of "industry favorites," and an extensive list of initial
- Telestock provides sources of investment
information in both English and German. Provides charts and quotes for more than 60,000
stocks, bonds and options. Company historical information for prices, business reports,
and press releases are available. Prices may be downloaded in a Quicken or MS Money
- Financial Statement Analysis Provides
a comparison between user selected companies, including risk and profitability ratios -
both numerically and graphically.
- Market Technicians
Association An impressive list of links, especially for charting data links and
charting software. Also a section on fundamental and News/Profiles links. A large number
of links to advisors and newsletters. A short description of each site.
- Technical and Fundamental Commentary
- Trading Tech has technical analysis of
companies. Provides software for technical analysis (fee).
- Nerd World Financial Investments page lists
alternatives for investing and sites to find advice.
- Stocksmart has quotes, technical analysis, SEC
filings, information on splits and dividends. Historical price graphs also are available.
- The Stock Room provides
graphs and quotes of US and foreign stock market indices, bond yields, other markets, and
- Boomer Stocks looks at
"undiscovered" stocks trading under $10 that may have substantial potential.
- List of Initial Public Offerings can
be found here. Other information on IPO's can be found at IPOCentral which is updated daily and has planned as
well as executed IPOs. Even provides an expected range of prices for initial trading.
Gives major underwriters, IPO analysis, and profiles. Has a beginners guide to IPO
markets. Has a search engine for IPOs.
- Holt Stock Report
- Charter Media Analysis of events in stock, bond,
and currency markets. Economic and political commentary plus quotes.
- Computerized Trading Site Commercial site
providing information on 6000 sites on investment companies who sell products. Provides a
- Yahoo Financial News provides links to specific
stories on individual stock news and market news, including stock upgrade and downgrade
ratings by analysts. There are links to more general business and industry news, to
current market quotes, and to other categories. If you wish to see the list of upgrades
and downgrades for a particular date then go to the site
"http://biz.yahoo.com/c/yr/mo/dy/u.html#?" where yr is the year (97), mo is the
month (12) and dy is the day (15) that you are interested in; do NOT type the quote marks.
- Mutual Funds Interactive Provides profiles
of funds and fund managers, quotes, news and links to other fund sites.
- Networth Run by Intuit. Compares funds;
top-performing funds, profiles by Morningstar. Quotes.
- IOMA gives analysis via newsletters; ratings of 850
- Stock Master Top Mutual Funds
lists the mutual funds most frequently graphed on StockMaster. Quote mutual funds.
- DBC Online provides information on the mutual funds
market, including a listing of the largest funds as well as an alphabetical listing of ALL
mutual funds. Quotations available. Listings of various types of funds, including growth
funds, stock funds, international funds, precious metal funds, and high yield bond funds.
Also has a listing of industry index levels.
- Individual mutual fund sites often provide historical performance, manager profiles,
expenses, and turnover rates on investments. Some large mutual funds: Fidelity Investments is the largest mutual fund -
provides profiles of individual Fidelity funds; Vanguard
provides the basics of mutual fund investing and an on-line library; T. Rowe Price which also provides updates on domestic
and international markets; Dreyfus includes
commentary on financial markets.
Bonds and Fixed-Income
- Bloomberg A well known fixed-income service. But
it also has substantial quotes on-line for futures, FX, international equity and
fixed-income markets at quotes as well as
currency and links to international business information at international.
- Municipal Bond Scandals: Securities fraud and
corruption at investment houses. 300 articles (with a "new" section, all with
brief summaries). Has a section on definitions and common terms. May search for
information among its database. Includes Orange County.
Quotes, Charts, News Headlines, and Trading Games
- Stockmaster (The MIT site): free quotes and
graphs of US stocks and mutual funds (one stock at a time) with a ten minute delay time.
However, this site can be so busy that the wait is frustrating! You can find the Graphs here. Volumes, Pes, and daily
and yearly highs and lows are also provided. With Stockmaster you can input the NAME of
the company as well as the stock symbol. This site also has an investors survey called the
"Investor Sentiment Survey," where you find out what others think of the
potential of the market in the next three months.
- Quote.com provides quotes for stocks, bonds,
commodity exchanges (called "Commodities Exchange Center for futures quotes). Also
provides Reuters and other recent business news, fundamental information (including
earnings estimates for over 7500 companies), commentary, and charts. Their research
section includes annual reports, historical data, insider trading, and company profiles.
Their basic services are free, but advanced services are fee based.
- PC Quote provides real-time quotes (but exchange
fees are necessary). You can obtain sales information on a particular stock. Has a trading
simulator game. Also has news on companies.
- PointCast is a News Network that
broadcasts to your PC the lastest news. You can tailor it to provide stock news,
latest stock prices, industry and company analysis, etc.
- Timely gives daily, weekly and monthly (nice
looking) charts, plus information on most S&P 500 companies for earnings and market
reactions. Includes commentaries on the markets and screens of market movers, relative
strength, and quotes.
- Geocities: headlines and quotes
provides links to sites with quotes, market updates, and information on companies.
- Investment News Online: quotes Mainly futures and
options, but also certain stocks and interest rates; has historical charts.
- JPMorgan is an investment banker. At its Web site
it provides quotes on currency indices and an emerging market bond index. (It also has
Riskmetrics: a rich risk management program, including datasets.)
- Stockcenter gives stock quotes, index
information, and a "portfolio manager" software that you can download. The
software is a quote manager for market moves.
- E-Trade Portfolio Simulation Game Provides a FREE
game with $1000 prizes monthly. Personal portfolio chart for your investments.
- StockTrak for those playing the Stocktrak game -
where you can make trades and find out about your portfolio.
Financial Information and Sites with Finance Links
- SEC: EDGAR is the SEC's database of
submissions to the SEC, including 10K reports (profit and loss statements) as well as
other filings by corporations. One may search for the desired information. Other sources
for EDGAR are at NYU and at the "TownHall" sites.
- Economic News Interpreted by Wall Street
Journal and W.W.Norton. Summarizes economic news articles. Includes economic analysis,
graphics and related information. Provides links.
- Reuters Business News Up to the
minute news and business summaries. The "Financial" section has information on
U.S. stocks, the world, initial public offerings, treasuries, etc.
- CNN Financial Network Gives the Financial News and
the status of the market. Also has a "markets page."
- Federal Reserve Board Links to information
about the Fed, Fed data, etc. The New
York Fed gives economic/financial data, including interest rates.
- INVESTools provides a search engine that allows
one to find articles relating to specific investment topics
- Media Logic Index provides a search tool for
investment topics and economic indicators. Thus, more specific then general Web search
Financial Encyclopedia describes itself as the world's only interactive financial
encyclopedia; describes over 1000 terms, financial products, software.
- Glossary of Trading and Investment
Terms by the Wall Street Directory.
- Glossary of Technical Terms by
- The University of
Washington page by Weber provides a very extensive list of sites that related to
Finance. If you page down to the bottom of the list you will find sites for stocks, stock
quotes, stock analysis, international stocks, and stock exchanges. Well worth visiting -
but many of the sites (especially near the top) are academic research related.
- Florida State University page developed by
Pamela Peterson provides a good list of links for Finance sites.
- Ohio State University page
has perhaps the best page for Finance on the Web. Nicely set up and all kinds of
information relating to Finance.
- Invest-o-rama provides an extensive set of
links to investment-related topics.
- The Syndicate is, according to Money
magazine the best financial page. Links to information on stocks, bond, mutual funds,
brokerage services and over 1000 commercial finance pages. Link topics include accounting
and taxes and options and "Strategies and Tactics."
- Wall Street Directory has over 2500
pages of information for computerized traders and investors, including 2000 products and
- MarketWeb provides links for many
aspects of investing, mutual funds, and futures. Includes publications and statistics.
- Internet Resources for
Quants provides links to Finance sites, statistical information, stock quotes, and
- Libertynet providees "A Trader's
Financial Resource Guide" which are links to MANY Finance sites. However there is
very little description.
- Finance Sites gives links to
Finance directories, Real Estate, Financial Markets quote services, and bond market pages.
- Bloomberg A well known fixed-income service. It
also has a collection of annual reports - although a fee is required.
Exchanges and Index Calculation
- New York Stock Exchange: provides basic information on
the NYSE operates (an "educational site"). Their "Frequently Asked
Questions" can be very informative for newcomers.
- American Stock Exchange: a "Top 5% site".
Has three full motion videos to download and 10 interesting pictures of the exchange
(under the Gallery section). The AMEX has been a leader in option development. Their Options site discusses their option
products, especially their new and innovative ones.
- NASDAQ: The Over-the-Counter Market Many exciting
companies are over-the-counter, such as Intel and Microsoft.
- European Stock Exchanges This
site provides links to 55 stock exchanges (mostly in Europe but some others). A related
site provides information on how the stock
indexes are calculated.
- Also see the International Financial Markets Page for links to International Exchanges
Send comments to: Dr. Robert T. Daigler mailto:
or mail to: Department of Finance BA206, College of Business, Florida International
University, Miami, Fla. 33199