- Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, FIU
- Director, Center for Advanced Research in Forensic Science
- Director, Trace Evidence Analysis Facility, FIU
- Director Emeritus, International Forensic Research Institute, FIU
- Scientist in Residence, National Clearinghouse for Science, Technology and the Law, Stetson University College of Law, Florida, USA
- Courtesy Professor, University of East Anglia, Norwich UK
José R. Almirall served as a practicing forensic scientist at the Miami-Dade Police Department Crime Laboratory before his academic appointment at FIU in 1998. In addition to authoring a book and about 145 peer-reviewed scientific publications in the field of analytical and forensic chemistry, Prof. Almirall has received six U.S. patents and serves on several national forensic science boards.